Monday, September 15, 2008

Why Friday?

Is it me or do children seem to have illnesses and injuries on Friday's when the doctor's office isn't open anymore? So there I am sitting on the couch in our condo at Timbercreek, reading and doing my devotional for the ladies Bible study I'm in, when the most painful screams come from the room where the boys are sleeping. Startled I jump up to see what all the screaming is about. It's Levi.

"My ear," he screams as he holds his left ear. So I get him calmed down and back in bed.

That's weird, he hasn't complained about his ear hurting before now.

"My ear," comes another scream from the other room a couple minutes later.

It's no longer let's wait see what happens tomorrow, it's what to do now. This is the child who laughs in the face of pain. So what to do. Consult EMT soon to be paramedic husband. So after doing that it's off to the pediatric ER. Nothin' like an ER visit on the Friday night of the staycation. So after three hours of waiting and a million, "what's this?" from Levi, we leave the ER with a double ear infection, a prescription for an antibiotic, and some drops that help numb his ear for pain.

I believe the weekend trips to the ER are one of the reasons people say children are so expensive. I would pay a doctor visit co-pay over an ER visit co-pay anyday. But, in the end as long as Levi's feeling better it was worth it. And after all he made the ER tech, the nurse, and the doctor's night a little brighter, I'm sure of it.

1 comment:

Mark and Jordan Anderson said...

Sounds fun- we've never been to the ER (KNOCK ON WOOD--a LOT!). The last time I went is when I got hurt in a soccer game in high school. So you KNOW that was a long time ago, 'cause that meant I was running and stuff. I just don't do those things anymore.