Sunday, October 19, 2008

How Embarrassing!

DEDICATION: First off I would like to thank all those who donate blood, you have my respect. Secondly, to my sister-in-law Chandra Kirsten Anderson, who made this experience possible. Thank you.


Helping other people. Who doesn't like to help others out when they have a chance. I especially like to since with three children finding the time to help isn't always there. So I drove up to church Friday afternoon to donate some blood. Why not? I've done it before. I checked in, read my book, answered every question, and had my blood pressure checked (114/80, not bad). I was ready.
"Come on over and have a seat." I should have ran, what was I thinking. My mind wandered back to my last experience, where the needle was placed against my vein wall and every two minutes they had to come and turn the needle (while it was still in my arm), and after 45 minutes of pure fun I was ready to go. So this time it takes less than ten minutes. You have to be kidding me that's it? I thought to myself. I was instructed to go over and have a seat, drink some juice, and have a snack. Well that's when the trouble started. My ears started ringing, everything got a little fuzzy, just weird. So, I laid my head down hoping these feelings would disappear. When I lifted my head up the next time, what do I see? My own breakfast and lunch all over myself. Yes, I said it. I passed out and puked on myself. Can you believe it? 26 years and three kids later, I actually threw up on myself. I mean I have managed to make it through life without this ever happening. But, no I have to go and do it in front of American Red Cross Volunteers, random strangers giving blood, and church volunteers. My wonderful husband was nice enough to bring me a set of clothes, so I didn't have to sit there stinky until I felt totally better. I don't believe in karma, but in this case I might. You see because a couple hours earlier I received a phone call from Mrs. Chandra Anderson asking me to come donate blood, because she was (nice Chandra go after my competetiveness). Well, guess who got to help clean me up? That's right none other than Chan. I walked away with a bruised arm and ego. I hope my blood saves someone's life, but with my luck they probably spilled it right after they left. How embarrassing.

4 comments:

Chandra said...

I am so proud of you. You did do a great job. I was just excited about having someone to do it with and then I got rejected. I still feel bad I talked you into it. I am really glad you were the one who threw up. Not sure I could have managed anyone else. Sorry again and I AM really proud of you.

Nicole said...

Don't worry, Mandy, I've passed out behind the needle several times! It is weird isn't it? Can't say I've thrown up from it though...But I'm sure other things have made me...just can't think of them now.

Marylou said...

I told you my story, but at least I was in the hospital, and had a little barf pan. Not to worry. You are as Bill O,Reilly would say, "A PATRIOT" for saving someone else's life in the future with your precious blood....

Mark and Jordan Anderson said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I mean, oh Mandy that's so horrible, I'm so sorry!
________________________
No, really I am. I can't imagine doing that! A few weeks ago I almost lost all of my lunch in Pizza Hut (for un-blood draw related issues) I was so glad when I made it to the bathroom and managed to do it there and not all over my fellow diners dinners!